Get Rid of Canker Sores Quickly and Naturally
This blog has not been approved by your local health department and is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment, or medical advice.
Learn about common canker sores and how to treat them naturally with some unique remedies.
Aphthous stomatitis is the medical term for the common canker sore. The painful ulcerations develop anywhere on the soft tissue that lines the inside of the mouth or on the tongue. Many complain of experiencing a burning or tingling sensation before the ulcers actually appear. Once eruption occurs, the sores are typically round, gray or white and have an inflamed red border.
Canker sores are thought to occur for a variety of reasons. The sores might appear after the tissue becomes injured following the consumption of acidic or sharp foods. Injury from the sharp edge of a tooth or corrective dental appliances may also result in a canker sore. Eruptions have been known to take place when someone suffers from a compromised immune system, a mineral or a vitamin deficiency or a gastrointestinal disorder.
Homemade Remedies to Treat Canker Sores
While there are over-the-counter treatments readily available to help these ulcers heal and disappear, individuals can also use different home remedy techniques to alleviate discomfort and promote healing.
Treat Canker Sores Using Numbing Spray
The oils from eucalyptus and peppermint plants have long been used in home remedies thanks to their anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. The oils also act as astringents to dry the tissues in and around the sore, which alleviates the cellular fluid and swelling along with the irritation. Eucalyptus and peppermint additionally produce a cooling sensation that reduces discomfort by interfering with the pain signals transmitted by the nerves in the region.
- 2 Tbs. of grapeseed oil
- 10 drops of peppermint oil
- 8 drops of eucalyptus oil
- An atomizer or mist-spraying bottle
- Pour the oils into the bottle.
- Apply the cap and twist tightly shut.
- Shake thoroughly before using.
- Spray the formula directly onto the canker sore.
- Apply as needed to treat discomfort and to hasten healing.
Get Canker Sore Relief Using Chamomile Tea Bags
Chamomile tea is commonly used to induce relaxation and sleep. However, the tea can also alleviate digestive upsets by relaxing the muscles in the gastrointestinal tracts. Chamomile contains a number of chemical compounds that include bisabolol and levomenol, which have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Thus, the tea bags are useful for alleviating the pain of canker sores while encouraging the healing process.
- Allow the tea bag to soak in water for one or two minutes.
- Apply the moistened tea bag to the canker sore for up to 10 minutes.
- Use the treatment twice daily until healed.
Treat Canker Sores Using a Homemade Swish Sage Remedy
The common herb known as sage has been used for centuries in many world cultures as a food seasoning. Native Americans and other cultures also used the dried herb as a natural remedy to cleanse and heal oral sores.
- 2 tsp. of dried organic sage
- 4 to 8 ounces of water
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the dried sage.
- Allow steeping for 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Swish the sage water in the mouth for approximately one minute.
- Spit the swish out and rinse with plain water.
- Store the remaining solution in a capped bottle.
Get Rid of Canker Sores With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial characteristics. The oil also has a pleasant taste, which makes it great for treating canker sores.
- Apply a good amount of the oil onto the cotton appliance of choice.
- Apply a thick layer of the oil directly onto the surface of the canker sore.
- Reapply as needed.
Clove Oil Canker Sore Relief
Clove oil contains the chemical compound eugenol, which interferes with nerve tissue pain receptors in order to provide relief from canker sores discomfort.
- ½ tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 drops of clove oil
- Plain warm water or warm salt water
- Cotton balls or cotton swabs
- Cleanse the inside of the mouth using water or salt water.
- Combine the clove and olive oils.
- Apply the oil to the canker sore using the cotton ball or swab.
- Continue applying more oil until the area numbs.
- Store the homemade oil remedy in a small covered bottle.
Treat Canker Sores Using Homemade Honey Rub
Honey has been widely favored as a topical wound treatment for its natural anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Warm water or salt water
- Raw honey
- Cleanse the mouth thoroughly by swishing with the warm water.
- Dab a small amount of the raw, unprocessed honey onto the canker sore.
- Apply the honey two to three times each day.
- Make the last application before bedtime when it can be the most effective.
Wax Caps Get Rid of Canker Sores
Canker sores are often irritated when they rub against teeth or dental appliances. However, by applying a wax cap, people can eliminate the irritation caused by the friction. In this way, healing can take place more rapidly.
- Combine the beeswax and coconut oil and melt the mixture in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Press a generous amount of the wax over the dental appliance to protect the canker sore.
Use Cayenne Cream to Treat Canker Sores
The chemical compound capsaicin in cayenne pepper is commonly used to treat sore muscles. The compound interferes with the neurotransmitter known as substance p. to prevent the brain from recognizing discomfort. In this way, cayenne is useful for alleviating the discomfort associated with canker sores.
- Add water a few drops at a time to the cayenne pepper until a paste forms.
- Apply the paste to the sore using a cotton swab.
- Use the treatment two to three times each day.
Aloe Rinse for Canker Sore Relief
Aloe gel remains one of the world's natural medicinal plants. The gel is favored for its anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties.
- 1 tsp. of aloe vera gel
- 1 Tbs. of water
- Combine the gel and water.
- Mix well.
- Swish the solution in the mouth over the irritated site to alleviate pain.
- Use the solution up to three times each day.
Canker Sore Healing Tips
It may be possible to get rid of or prevent canker sores by eating yogurt. Yogurt and other forms of bacterial fermented milk have long been used for restoring the normal gut flora balance. When eating a spoonful of yogurt, the dairy product has the ability to normalize oral flora and promote canker sore healing. Choose plain yogurt that contains live cultures. Indulge in a tablespoon three times each day.
Saltwater is another time-honored home remedy. Salty water causes fluid from swollen tissues to flow outward in order to neutralize the sodium-laden water. Thus, salt water helps reduce canker sore swelling. Salt water also has analgesic properties. Simply combine half a teaspoon of sea salt with a quarter cup of warm water. Swish the solution in the mouth up to three times a day until healing occurs.
Try each of these home remedies and see which ones work best. Using a combination of treatments may promote faster healing. In addition, take note of one's eating habits and general lifestyle to find patterns that may cause canker sore development. For example, if stress is a factor, find ways to unwind and relax to alleviate physical tension. Eliminate acidic foods from a diet until the canker sores disappear.